Wednesday, April 16, 2014

O is for Odyssey

All this month I am participating in the A to Z Challenge.  Today's letter is...
for Odyssey


The dictionary defines odyssey as a long wandering and eventful journey.  We're planning an odyssey this summer.  Our grandchildren are attending a family reunion in Iowa in early June.  The spouse and I will drive the RV to South Dakota and meet the girls and their parents at Mount Rushmore.  Their parents will hand the grandchildren off to us and fly home to Texas.  We will set off on an odyssey to make summer vacation memories.

We've just started planning.  We know we want to spend some time in Yellowstone National Park, but other than that, we're open to whatever looks interesting as we head back to Oregon.

The girls enjoy traveling in the RV.  They curl up with a book, or coloring book,  or Nana's i-pad.  The RV is large enough that they can spread out, not quite alone time, but they can get some distance from each other and that helps keep the peace.

Summer 2013 on our way to the Oregon Coast

Having children along on our travels changes our travel style.  When it's just the two of us we'll stop at antique stores and brew pubs.  With the grandchildren it's parks and McDonald's.



I'm looking forward to having the grandchildren for eight weeks this summer.  We've got a long list of things to do and I know we won't get to half of them.  We planted peas this week in the garden so Hunter can pick them.  She doesn't like to eat them, but she sure likes to harvest them.  We're filling the pond with sand so the girls can have a sand box, and I've started hitting the yard sales for digging toys.  I can wait for the odyssey to begin!

8 comments:

  1. My husband and I talk about driving cross country all of the time. I’m not sure the reality would live up to our expectations. Perhaps an RV would make such a trip more comfortable though. It’s so neat that you and your grandkids can spend all of that time together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your grands are sure beautiful. I remember that picture from last year, with the waterfall behind them. Your odyssey sounds like fun for everyone! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It will be so wonderful. They'll be planning next year before you're home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have fun with your plans, it sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your odyssey will be great. I am so happy for you. I envy you for having such great times with your grandchildren. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you will enjoy on your trip, feel free to post some pictures of your vacation. summer island

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh how fun! I would love to have my granddaughter for 8 weeks! You will have a wonderful time, making precious memories! Looking forward to hearing all about it:)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails